Tuesday, September 10, 2013

pink dresser

Let me start by saying that I don't like any type of chemical strippers.  I don't use them, unless I absolutely have to.  I always end up burning myself with it, no matter how "safe" the product says it is.  This, of course, meant that I was going to have to use a stripper on this dresser.  I sanded and sanded until I couldn't sand no more. 

I've had this dresser for at least 15 years.  it was white when I got it, and I painted it a really pretty Behr color called Scarlett Red, if I remember correctly.  Of course, I don't have any pictures of it before I started (I never do).

I started with the cabinet.  It seemed like I sanded for days, and I just wasn't making any progress.  On the top, I was at least getting through the red, but I couldn't get past a layer of white.  I finally realized why - there was a piece of laminate covering the entire top of the dresser.

So I used my scraper thing and a hammer and managed to get it all off.

Unfortunately, I was still having a horrible time getting the paint off the sides and front of the cabinet, and I was determined to stain this piece.

So, I pulled out the stripper - after putting down plastic and putting the dresser on my sawhorses.

I do like the way the paint looks when it's getting all bubbly, and this time, I only burned myself once - when I dropped a little bit of stripper on my foot.  The stripper did the trick, and all the paint came off very easily.  I sanded the piece down, and started staining.  I think I put four coats of stain on it, all different colors, some I mixed myself, until I got a color I liked.  I started with a coat of light cherry, and it was pretty, but a little too red - I'm really not sure what I used after that, but I know I mixed some natural with pecan and there might have been a bit of walnut in there somewhere.  I put four coats of Minwax polyurethane in satin on it, and the cabinet was good to go.

This isn't a great picture, but it's pretty close to what the color looked like before I poly'd it.

I sanded the drawers down and painted them a really pretty soft pink, but I'll post about that later and post an after picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment